Dear RPS Families,
Last Thursday we shared that a transition in our learning model to Distance Learning (DL) would be going into effect today, November 18. We also want to remind families that our goal is to bring our students back to our schools in-person as soon as it is safe to do so. To achieve this, we must work together. We are asking for your partnership and support in helping us achieve this goal.
This communication will address two important updates for RPS families.
- Reporting COVID-19 positive cases
- Visiting RPS buildings during DL
Reporting COVID-19 Positive Cases
During DL, we are asking our families to continue to report their children’s COVID-19 positive cases to their school buildings. We thank our parents and guardians in advance for continuing to share this important data with the District.
Visitor Access to RPS Buildings
Rochester Public Schools will be limiting access to our buildings to minimize unnecessary contact and the potential spreading of COVID-19, beginning today, Wednesday, November 18 through Friday, January 8, 2021. These dates are congruent with our Distance Learning period. Facilities will still be open but at a limited capacity.
- Parents/Guardians will be allowed to pick up students’ materials and/or personal items at school buildings by appointment after Wednesday, November 18.
- Parents/Guardians will be allowed into RPS school buildings without appointments only for drop-off and pick-up of emergency child care.
- No other visitors will be allowed in RPS school buildings, with the exception of supply deliveries, US Mail, and other critical services.
- School registration for new students, including incoming kindergarteners, will be available online or at the Edison Administration Building. In order to best serve our families, making an appointment for registration is highly recommended by calling (507) 328.4200. Preschool registration is also occurring at Northrop Education Building. Appointments for registration are highly encouraged by calling (507) 328-4024. Early Childhood Screening will be accepting appointments and holding virtual visits. To schedule your child’s appointment please call (507) 328-4004.
- RPS Student Nutrition Services will be offering a meal kit pick-up for all children 0-18 years old regardless of meal price eligibility. Students do not need to be enrolled at RPS to receive free meals. Children can receive one meal kit each week. Meal kits will consist of heat-and-serve and ready-to-eat entrees, fruits and vegetables, and milk. No pre-registration or paperwork is required. RPS meals will be offered from 10:00 a.m. to noon on November 20 and 24, and December 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18 and 22 at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds, Graham Park Building #35 (enter north end of building).
- All other District services will operate during normal business hours. However, many of our staff are working remotely as advised by Governor Walz’s executive order 20-40. Making an appointment is critical to ensure someone is available to assist you.
- Communications & Marketing 328.4500
- Community Education 328.4000
- Curriculum and Instruction 328.4301
- Early Childhood Family Services 328.4004
- English Learners 328.4240
- Elementary and Secondary Education 328.4300
- Human Resources 328.4251
- Registration and Records 328.4200
- Student Advancement 328.4275
- Student Nutrition Services 328.4218
- Student Services 328.4310
- Superintendent’s Office 328.4256
- Transportation 328.4260
Thank you, parents and community members, for your continued support in education and helping take actions to protect one another, such as staying home if you are sick, washing your hands often with soap and water, covering your cough and sneeze, avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, wearing proper face coverings, and avoiding large gatherings.